Saleen Performance Vehicles today unveiled the first in its 2010 premiere line of high-performance cars, the 2010 Saleen S281. The introduction took place at the annual SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) Show at the Las Vegas Convention Center. This is the second Saleen vehicle launched this year, following the 2010 435S introduced in August.
The S281, based on the 2010 Ford Mustang, displays a premium level of design consideration, both exterior and interior, with performance to match. It builds on the Saleen tradition of offering limited-edition, high-performance vehicles for enthusiasts who are looking for an exhilarating driving experience, with refined driveability for real-world road conditions.
“For more than 25 years the Saleen name has stood for excellence in design, engineering, and driving dynamics,” said Mike Shields, CEO of Saleen Performance Vehicles. “The new S281 is an excellent example of what those words mean when we craft concepts into real cars. Our team has done a terrific job; I’m proud of them and proud to be offering this car to our customers.”
The S281’s exterior design features carefully crafted sculptural detailing, with lines and forms that flow naturally and suggest suppleness, power and agility. It features an understated yet imposing grille and front fascia, and a refined treatment of the familiar Saleen extended rear fascia and trunk lid with a simple, elegant, integrated wing.
“Our goal was to create the most visually enticing American sports car ever,” said David Byron, design director at Saleen Performance Vehicles. “Ford provided the perfect launching pad with the 2010 Mustang, which allowed our team to create a car that’s world class and authentically Saleen. We painstakingly toiled over every bend and break in the body and every stitch and fold in the interior.”
The S281’s 4.6-liter V-8 engine is equipped with a Saleen Series VI.5 twin-screw supercharger and dual-stage intercooler. It produces 485 hp and 460 lb.-ft. of torque, sent to the rear wheels through a short-throw, five-speed manual transmission and a limited-slip differential with 3.73:1 final drive ratio.
The Saleen Racecraft suspension system is new, and includes specially tuned, single-rate front and rear springs; nitrogen-pressurized front struts and rear shocks with a wide range of damping adjustments; and a specially tuned front sway bar with performance pivot bushings.
The interior features new, leather sport seats with Ultra-Suede inserts, highlighted by chevron-like Ultra-Suede red tabs in the seatback bolsters, and unique treatments of the gauges, steering wheel, center console and shifter. There also are contrasting Saleen logos in the door panels, and Saleen logos in the door sill plates that illuminate when the door is opened.
Additional exterior highlights include unique, 20-inch, 7-spoke alloy wheels with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso high-performance tires, and Saleen S281 Supercharged fender badging.
About Saleen Performance Vehicles
Saleen Performance Vehicles is a manufacturer of limited-edition, high-performance cars and trucks, head-quartered in Troy, Michigan. Saleen vehicles embody sophistication in engineering, styling and performance, resulting in a dynamic driving experience that is both exhilarating and refined. Together with its sister companies, Control-Tec LLC, Power-Tec LLC and its subsidiary, Arrow Racing Engines, Saleen encompasses a broad range of capabilities and services in automotive design, development and manufacturing. For more information, please visit the Saleen Performance Vehicles website at www.saleen.com.
2010 Saleen S281 Specifications:
* 281 cid (4.6L) 3-valve SOHC V8 engine (485 hp@ 6000 rpm, 460 lb. -ft torque @ 4250 rpm)
* Saleen Series VI.5 integrated twin-screw supercharger
* Saleen dual-stage water-to-air intercooler system
* Saleen 39 lb. fuel injectors
* Hi-flow inlet tube and air box cover
* Saleen performance air filter
* 5-speed, short-throw manual transmission
* 8.8-inch limited-slip differential, 3.73:1/3.31:1 final drive (coupe/convertible)
* Saleen Performance Exhaust System with stainless steel chrome tips
* Saleen Performance Cooling Package
* Saleen 3.73 Maxgrip differential
* Saleen Racecraft specific-rate front and rear springs
* Saleen Racecraft nitrogen-pressurized front strut and rear shocks, wide-range adjustable damping
* Saleen Racecraft front sway bar and performance bushings
* Saleen Racecraft front strut tower brace
* Power-assisted, 4-wheel vented disc brakes with ABS and traction control (14 in. slotted front rotors with 4-piston calipers)
* 15 in. slotted front rotors with 6-piston calipers, 11.8 in. slotted rear rotors
Wheels and Tires
* Saleen 20-inch, 7-spoke Speed Star silver wheels (20×9 front, 20×10 rear) with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tires (275/35ZR20 front, 275/40ZR20 rear)
* Tire pressure monitoring system
* Saleen valve stem caps
* Saleen 7-Spoke Speed Star chrome wheels (20×9 front, 20×10 rear)
* Saleen 5-spoke forged chrome wheels (20×9 front, 20×10 rear)
* High-performance Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 305/35ZR20 rear tires
* Saleen leather sport seats, front and rear, with Ultra-Suede inserts and custom-embroidered head restraints
* Saleen short-throw shifter with leather-wrapped, comfort-grip aluminum shift knob
Unique, Saleen black-faced gauges, including 200 mph speedometer
* Saleen twin-gauge pod (boost pressure and air inlet temperature)
* Custom center console finish in Piano Black
* Saleen serialized console plaque
* Saleen steering wheel badgev
* Saleen performance pedals
* Saleen leather door inserts
* Saleen S281 custom-embroidered floor mats
* Saleen illuminated door sill plates
* MyColor™ ambient lighting (door pockets, cupholders, footwells)
* Ford SYNC® voice-activated communications and entertainment system
* Shaker 500 audio system with AM/FM stereo, in-dash 6 CD changer, MP3 capability, 8 speakers
* Saleen “Eagle One” detail kit with embroidered Saleen bag
* Saleen key fob
* Saleen owner’s document portfolio and warranty guide
* Saleen S281 custom-embroidered trunk mat
* Saleen S281 Supercharged fender badging
* Saleen chevron graphics (color specific to vehicle color)
* Saleen Design Super-Flo hood
Saleen Design injection-molded front fascia, grille, side skirts, rear fascia, rear diffuser, decklid appliqué, spoiler and end caps
* Saleen championship wreath decal
* Saleen serialized engine bay plaque / bumper number decal
* Saleen body-color mirror caps
* Saleen windshield graphic
* Saleen Design injection-molded quarter window covers
Paint Color Choices
* Performance White
* Torch Red
* Grabber Blue
* Sterling Grey Metallic
* Brilliant Silver Metallic
* Kona Blue Metallic
* Red Candy Metallic with tinted clearcoat (added cost)
* Sunset Gold Metallic
* Igniter Orange custom factory paint
* Octane Red custom factory paint
* Silver Shield custom factory paint
* Motor City Blue custom factory paint
* Lights Outs Yellow custom factory paint
Safety and Security
* Advance Trac® with Electronic Stability Control®
* Dual-stage front airbags
* Driver/front passenger side-impact airbags
* Driver’s seat position sensor/crash severity sensor
* Remote keyless entry / illuminated entry
* LATCH (Lower Anchors & Tethers for Children) System
* SecuriLock® passive anti-theft system
* SOS post-crash alert system
Dimensions and Capacities
* Vehicle weight 3,401 lb.
* Weight distribution (f/r) 54/46
* Wheelbase 107.1 in.
* Track (f/r) 62.8 in./63.9 in.
* Length 190.1 in.
* Width 73.9 in.
* Height 53.1 in.
* Trunk Space 13.4 cu. ft.
* Fuel Capacity 16 gal.
Price this car:
Invoice: not available yet
Source: Saleen Press Release