Catering to requests from auto enthusiasts, Suzuki is taking the SX4 Crossover’s outstanding capability to the next level in performance. The SX4’s unit structure and standard all-wheel drive can handle additional horsepower, so in partnership with Road Race Motorsports, the SX4’s 2.0 liter DOHC four was upfitted with Road Race’s proprietary turbo kit, the chassis was improved with sport springs, and wheels and tires grew to 17-inch.
Suzuki’s J20A engine is equipped with a 16G GT3 Turbo and Tial 38mm wastegate. With seven pounds of boost, the engine’s stock 143 class-leading horsepower and 136 lb-ft of torque are upgraded to 221 horsepower and 208 lb-ft of torque.
Helping to control this significant upgrade in horsepower are Road Race’s GRIP springs and performance brake pads. An oil filler cap and battery tie-down – in billet – are supplied by Suzuki’s in-house parts group, SWT.
Less is more
Simplifying some of the exterior lines and removing the roof rack resulted in a sleek, unified appearance. To stay and look cool, Road Race installed its own CarbonTrix carbon fiber hood, and provided the SX4’s roof and A, B, C and D pillars with a complimentary dark metallic gray finish. Suzuki’s Quicksilver metallic remains the primary color south of the greenhouse, visually meshing with Rota’s 17-inch five-spoke rims.
With a subtle approach to visual differentiation on the outside, Suzuki kept the interior similarly low key. Front seats benefit from a custom bolster, and both front and rear seats are recovered, featuring new fabric inserts which continue the exterior’s silver metallic theme. To further accentuate the SX4’s performance intent, the driver’s contact points are enhanced by a sport steering wheel, taken directly from a Suzuki Swift, and SWT’s drilled pedal set.
The Rockford Fosgate audio system features an enhanced amp, speakers and subwoofer. And when not reaching for the audio knob, manual transmission enthusiasts will enjoy the sequential feel provided by Road Race’s billet shift lever controlling the SX4’s five forward gears.
With a genuine boost under the hood, and the enhanced drivetrain clothed in a discreet cosmetic treatment, the Suzuki concept speaks to the ongoing desire of motorists everywhere to go about their business quickly, albeit quietly.
• Turbocharged and intercooled J20A engine featuring 16G GT3 Turbo and Tial 38mm Wastegate
• 221 horsepower (5,100 rpm) and 208 lb-ft of torque (3,800 rpm)
• 2.0 liter DOHC four requires PREMIUM fuel
• Road Race Motorsports GRIP springs
• Road Race performance brake pads
• CarbonTrix carbon fiber vented hood
• Rota five-spoke Torque wheels – 17 X 7.5
• Yokohama Advan Neova tires – 225/45/R17 91W
• Removal of factory cladding
• Removal of factory roof rack and mounting studs
• JDM Suzuki Swift steering wheel
• Rockford Fosgate audio system, with upgraded amp, speakers and subwoofer
• Road Race sequential-style shift knob
• Custom bolster in front seats
• Custom seat fabric inserts
• SWT billet drilled pedal set
Suzuki SX4t Concept assembled by Road Race Motorsports, Santa Fe Springs, CA.
Price this car:
MSRP: not available yet
Invoice: not available yet
Source: Suzuki Press Release